Or do you come from a long line of crafters???
I come from that long line. My Grandmother was a Milliner. I recall sitting on her back steps watching her work and the best part was visiting when she had a bride to be arrive to collect her head piece and the joy on her face when she tried it on. Grandma, also made my veil for our wedding, I wanted a long one and could not find one anywhere and Grandma jumped at the chance to use her old skills to whip me up on.
My Nan is a crocheter. She has not done anything for many years and I hope to change that. I am hoping to sit with her for a little over the Christmas break and crochet under her guidance. I have purchased her some lovely yarn, some new nice crochet hooks for her hands and a cute little book and hope that it will encourage her to start something.
The crafty line continues beyond that with my Great Grandmother doing intricate embroidery that Mum recently found while helping my Grandparents to destash.
And my Mum. Mum made all my clothes as a child and then went on to learn to quilt. My children are now the recipients of many handmade things from Grandma. One craft that she has never really got into is knitting. She always says that I am the knitter and will leave it to me. But when she is travelling, knitting is something that is portable.
The results of travels in the caravan has resulted in a gift for Amelia for her Birthday.
Thanks Grandma.
And I think that I may have finally got her away from the scary novelty yarns (it has taken me since 2003)
Last week she pumped out 4 neck cowls for her friends.
Amelia and Baden modeled them before she took them home.
Now to convert her to circular knitting. Will see if it takes me until 2017!
Do your children craft??? Mine are always drawing or playing with scraps of yarn and material that I give them. Playdough is often out as are the paints.
They often sit and watch as a swap parcel is opened to see if there is something in there for them!
Would you be interested in a Kids Swap. I am thinking of packages of little goodies being sent so they can have fun making things with maybe a little handmade thing in there from the mum or maybe the child themself, with a Christmas theme.
What do you think. Let me know.
I would be in on a kids swap. My two both draw, colour and craft away :)
ReplyDeleteI get my crafty side from Mum I think as she knits, does pettite point tapestry and more recently quilts. Her Mum was very good with a crochet hook :)
I would love to say I come from a whole family of crafters but I don't. Mum had 8 kids and only two of us can knit. I'm the only one who is constantly making something whether its knitting, crochet and sewing (but that's rare). My 13yo son can crochet a little but he's not that keen to do it.
ReplyDeleteMy son crafts up a storm. He just loves to make things. He loves mail too... so hands up from us to participate in a kids craft swap.
ReplyDeleteI come from a long line of musicians... on my mum's side... and a few crafty ladies (mainly out of necessity... clothes and blankets etc) on my dad's side. My mum often jokes that I got all her crafty talent... cause she got none and my dad jokes that I got his musical talents... cause he's hopeless! ;)I think a kid swap sounds great... but I know my limitations this year with a new baby in the house. Good luck for those that join!
ReplyDeleteI too come from a crafting/art family. Mum is a home eco/textiles teacher, made all our clothes as kids, one grandmother knits, quilts and bakes, the other is an artist but also knits and embroiders. Both grandfathers were very keen gardeners.
ReplyDeleteI love that you grandmother was a milliner and grandfather was a tailor. Such wonderful skills xox
A kids swap sounds like fun. I will be in on that too.
ReplyDeleteOh yippee, all my 4 children play with scraps, stitch, paste fabric, you name it, it's in their blood!! My mother made & knitted all our clothes (oh yes, matching knitted brothers & father, long flowy kaftans for my sister, mummy & i, hmmmmm) her father was a gardener, my father's parents were a carpenter & seamstress. My materal grandmother couldn't even arrange flowers, she was a maid who loathed any handiwork & would tease my mother for all her embroidery, knitting, sewing . . . so glad my mother hung in there. Love Posie
ReplyDeleteI would be keen on the kids swap :)
ReplyDeleteI come from a long line of crafters. My mum sewed our clothes as kids and is always doing something crafty (although she cannot knit to save herself ;)
My late nan was a dressmaker and her mother (my great-gran) used to take in sewing to make ends meet - this was back in the 20's, 30's and 40's!
Miss K has no hope and is already looking forward to the quilt show coming to brisbane later this month (if you are going we are going on Friday ;)
I come from a long line of crafters. My nana sewed my mums clothes when she was little and then my mum sewed mine and my sisters. My grandma knits and taught me and my sister and now one of my cousins to knit. My mum also crochets and bakes some wicked birthday cakes. I definately have the creativity in the genes!
ReplyDeleteMy family are all academics. We joke that I am the dumb artist. My kids craft it up big time though.
ReplyDeleteI love those stories of your family and their talents and that pic of you and your gorgeous veil. Gorgeous post Miss Kylie. X
A lonely crafter here! And elf taught at that!
ReplyDeleteMy Nanna M did knit occasionlly when I was a child....but that's it. My Mum and my Nan say it must have come from Nanna M (other side of the family), and that they definately didn't influence my creative side lol
I'd be interested in a kids craft swap!! Let me know if you go ahead with it :-)
ReplyDelete