To tell you the truth I feel a little like a murder - a vegetable one. We had been asked to take out the vegetables in the garden. On so many levels this feels wrong - in a few weeks another family would have been able to enjoy a crop of Carrots - but no - they are all pulled up and what remains now is nothing but dirt.
Anyway - the vegetable patch was a good investment (we can not take it with us as the removalist will not take building materials with them:( We did have a few good crops out of it and the kids enjoyed being able to walk outside, give them a water and pick the vegetables for dinner.
I will leave you with a few pics of the last of the radishes. These were great. They tasted so good and were the biggest I have ever seen.
I am hoping to get back into blogging about the garden (Belinda's Place Meme)and what we are doing for the community when we get a little settled. I have missed it.
Harvesting: Radishes
Maintenance: Mowing and watering lawns
Cleaning House
Removing Vegetables from Vege Patch
Planning for The Future: Starting to think about what we would like to grow
Working for the Future: Booked A into the local Kindergarten
Thinking about Christmas Gifts and what I can knit on the trip to QLD
Building Community - Saying farewell to old friends
Looking on the internet for our new library, knitting groups, playgroup
Learn a new Skill - A little bit of patience - moving with two toddlers is interesting to say the least.
.jpg)
.jpg)
How sad that you can't leave it in for the next family... although they may not have taken care of it as well as you have.
ReplyDeleteThen again, a veggie patch is not something you come across in every rental! :)
Welcome Aboard,
ReplyDeleteI can certainly understand how pulling out immature vegetables would be a bit soul destroying. As a gardener myself I can't quite understand people who can't see the value of a good veggie garden but it seems a lot of them exist.
Congratulations on your planning and community research. With any luck they will help smooth over the big changes in routine a little for the kids.
Kind Regards
Belinda
I am so peeved that you are leaving DAYS before my trip to Wagga :( Also peeved that you have had to pull out the vegetables, what a waste!!
ReplyDeleteHappy moving day, and hope you are all good and settled in at your new place very soon.
Oh Kylie I agree - that seems wrong.
ReplyDeleteSurely the next family could have made that decision - I would love someone to leave a veggie garden in my backyard!
You sound very organised though and the net is helping too I see with 'checking out' your new neighbourhood.
Yay not long until you are here!! I hope you can find a nice playgroup. We walk to one close-by on Monday mornings and it is great. I think there is a Stitch 'n Bitch group that meets on Wednesday nights at West End and I know there is a Southside knitters group which I haven't been to yet but want to go. Surely there would be one on the northside somewhere too. What suburb did you end up landing up in? The Council website www.brisbane.qld.gov.au is with the Brisbane City Council libraries (if you are in that area) also www.ourbrisbane.com.au is a good website for checking out what's on when around town. And the Gallery of Modern Art has toddler Tuesdays which is worthwhile checking out too for something to do.
ReplyDeleteTake care with the move and good luck with the learning the skills of patience (something I severely lack). Susan :)
I love your vegetable garden! I think it is a real shame that you were asked to take them out before you move. I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide to plant at your new house. :)
ReplyDeleteWhat? Who asks someone to remove a vegetable garden...madness
ReplyDeletethat's so sad about your garden!! i'm sure the new family would have loved it (who wouldn't, really??). hope your move is going well.
ReplyDelete