Friday, June 19, 2009

Hanging up the needles.

I have a confession. I am a messer. I am not a very good house wife and would prefer to knit or sew then clean. Welcome to my little world.

Anyway, after searching for a set of needles in this mess yesterday. I descided that enough was enough.
I searched the internet for a solution to the problem of the tangled circulars and miss matched needles. I found this which I thought was a great idea, but still a little messy.

I also came across this
great tutorial for a knitting roll. Which is also lovely. But I dont need to take all of my needles with me when I go out for a knit and natter with the girls.

So I put my ideas and brain into action. And this is what I came up with.A double sided hanging organiser for your knitting supplies. Everything in the one spot and all nice and neat. It can hide away in the closet with your coats or why not have it out for everyone to see.


Side one: Little pockets to house crochet hooks, DPN's, Staights, Stitch Ruler, Stitch Holders, Wool Needles, Tape measure and a few spare spots for extandendinf the family.

The opposite side has a little spot for those messy circulars and three large pockets down the bottom for my Boyne Interchangables and my Knit Kit (when it is not in my handbag.
So what do you think - I am thinking of making up a few and seeing if I can sell them. Would knitters that are not sewers buy one of these? Please let me know.

Now to put my thinking cap back on and think of a storage solution for a set of Addi Clicks as requested by Kelly after I presented her with this little sockyboxy last night. And a little roll big enough to store the essentials for a knit night!
But first up I really want to finish knitting a little Jacket for Baden.

Until then, stay warm and happy knitting and sewing.

19 comments:

  1. That is a FANSTASTIC idea. I would buy one for sure if you were selling them somewhere! I keep all my addis in the original packet they came in, and my knitpicks in their case. I'd stick with the case for the knitpicks interchangeables, but I've also got some fixed KP cables and all my addis and other bits and bobs that reside wherever I can find a place to put them!
    that's definitely a winner IMO :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW I adore the boxbag...particularly that funky fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!!!!!! Your knitting needle organiser is brilliant! It looks so much cooler than anything I could come up with. I especially love the circular needle holder on the other side, it's just brilliant.

    Currently my needle collection looks like your coffee cup full of odds and ends, not that pretty.

    So it's called a sockyboxy then? I like it a lot, especially the mushrooms. It's currently holding a ball of yarn and a set of needles for my next project, and I can take it anywhere at a moments notice. Love it, thank you again so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a cool idea. All my knitting needles are just in the drawer of my sewing table.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unreal! What a great solution! If I was a knitter, I'd want one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it is a great idea. I have been meaning to make myself a needle roll for ages as all my knitting needles are stored in a shoe box.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a genius! Great storage solution! (You certainly have a lot of needles!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Idea Kylie, I made myself a roll ages ago (when I first started dabbling in knitting) and I've fast outgrown it. Am sure it would be a hit if you tried selling some :)

    BTW my house sounds like yours, cleaning - what is that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it looks fantastic and there certainly could be a market for them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As you know Kylie I am not a knitter (or crocheter) but even a non-knitter like me thinks this is brilliant!
    Definitely make and sell them - you will make lots of people feel very happy, and organised.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your organiser, I think it's a fantastic idea! I need to sort my needles out as I can never find the size I need, so end up buying them - I think I must have several of the same size around here somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  12. See, this is what happens when you can combine sewing and knitting - brilliant solutions! Love this hanger. I'll stick with my roll, it's got sentimental value, but if I hadn't got it I'd be first in line for one of these organisers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Kylie, what a great idea. it looks great and i love the fabric you used. well done. if i could actually knit i would use it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job Kylie!!!
    I'm a sewer and a knitter and I would totally buy one.... My needles look the same as yours did in the first pic... LOL!!!

    Take Care
    Jodie :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would definately buy one but I would prefer to hang it over the side of the couch so it would be in easy reach. It looks great and yes I attest that my knitting needles look like that too, all shuffled together in a bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, what a makeover! Wanna come over and sort my crafty mess?

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a fantastic idea , they'd sell like hotcakes .

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW kylie that looks fantastic! i would definately buy one, being the novice sewer that i am it would probably take me forever to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  19. SO clever Kylie!! If I had that many needles I would definitely want one. Love it.

    ReplyDelete