Monday, March 8, 2010

Getting Back to the Basics

You may remember me starting this callenge last year.  With the move (that happened in November) and then the horrid neighbours that we have here I have not been really into the garden (and the depressing fact that our yard is so small here) But enough is enough.  I need to snap out of it and my DH and I have been chatting over the past few days about what made us happy with our last home and the garden came up a few times.  There are others out there that garden in small areas and so I just need to put my thinking cap on and get a little creative with the area that I have at my disposal.

So it is going to be a busy week.  I will work out what seeds we have and am about to make a trip to the nursery to get the soil and maybe even a few seedlings to give us a head start.

Sowing seed or Planting 
Observing - Neighbours have a passionfruit vine that has grown over to our side of the fence.  I have been fertilizing the flowers and have been told that what grows on our side are ours (how nice of them!) 

I planted basil, parsley, oregano, mint, corriander and rosemary (also planted Thyme - but I lost it) -  it has been lovely walking out to the front garden and snipping these to add to our meals.

Planning for The Future - Planning meals around what is in season and on special at the Markets

•Working for the Future - DH made a batch of Tomato Sause with 9kg of tomatoes that I got nn special - yummo.

Building Community - Have found a local playgroup that is attatched to the Kindy that Amelia is attending.
We have found a local church and feel at home there.
Sent an email to a friend that I have not spoken to in a while - will call her next week.
Went to the local Farmers Market down the street yesterday.

Learn a new Skill - Trying to work out what to plant in Sub-tropical Qld.

Hoping that these things will help us make this house our home.

7 comments:

  1. Welcome back into the challenge.

    I can't wait to see your creative ideas for small spaces. It's something a lot of urban and suburban growers face and I always find it amazing how a dedicated gardener makes the most of what they have.

    Best Wishes
    Belinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely go the herbs, so useful & fun for children to care for too. I hope your neighbours move, we'd love to live next door to you lovely folk. Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your back to basics challenge, I can't wait to see what you decide to sow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh I hope you feel completely at home soon - a nice garden with purpose will help...I adore passionfruit, the vine and its gorgeous flowers btw - You can freeze the fresh pulp in ice cube trays and suck on them in summer or use them for cooking - yummmm

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love passionfruit - at least your neighbours are good for something! Hope you enjoy getting back into gardening - such a fun activity for the kids as well. Your tomato sauce sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done on getting back into it. The basics are very important and I think it will be great for you to have a bit of a garden again.

    I am very slack at going to Playgroup, even though I like the local one here. Monday mornings are always hectic enough as it is but I should make more of an effort...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's amazing how much you can fit into a small space, don't forget that anything you can grow vertically on a frame or trellis will save you ground space.
    A garden is so worth doing and you have to start somewhere or you won't start at all. I love looking back to when our garden was bare dirt and weeds, it's so rewarding.

    ReplyDelete