Monday, July 25, 2011

The gift that keeps giving... and a pattern

When Baden was a new born I received a little knitted cardigan from Kate.  Kate had received it as a gift from and thought that it was just too good to have sit in a cupboard for Martha Moth to find and enjoy.

A beautiful hand knitted and hand dyed matinee cardigan that he wore alot before he grew out of it's size (and I failed to get a photo of him in it)

Once he had grown out of it I went to give it back to Kate and was told to pass it onto another friend who was a knitter or would appreciate such things.  So the journey began.  It travelled to Albury and then over to the US.  It did a stint in England before it returned back to Australia and then over to Germany.  It has finally found it's way back to us with the tiniest of holes.  No one is to blame, except the fact that this little cardi has been loved and worn and washed and finally it has just come apart at one of the ball changes or wet felted points and there is not enough for me to fix it.

I popped it into the 4ply yarn box.  The colour of it was just too good to throw away and I had plans of changing it into something else.

The time came over the weekend with the invitation to a baby shower.  I frogged and knitted a little beanie at the same time.

It was received with love and care for a friend with the story of what was a cardigan that became a beanie.  I will leave it up to her if she keeps it or keeps sending it on its way (which I think she will do) as she liked the story so much and doesn't want it to end.


Live on dear cardigan (June 2007 - July 2011) and look forward to hearing where you travel in the form of a beanie (2011 -    )  Thinking that I need to get my hands on the matinee cardigan pattern so I can start another and send another out there to create another story.




The pattern:  I have knitted this pattern a few times. It is nothing new or special - basically a rolled brim beanie with an umbilical cord, minus the roll.  I can not stand the roll on beanies for little babies (finding that they roll straight off of little heads with the amount that they wriggle)  So I have created a pattern for a ribbed brim.

Yarn:  4ply Baby Yarn  (a great sock wool stash buster)
Needles:  3.25 mm (I used Double Pointed Needles)

Cast on 80 stitches.  Join in round being careful not to twist, place marker.
Rows 1 - 6:  knit 1, purl 1 around.
Row 7:         kfab.  Knit around.

Optional  Row 8:      Change colour and knit around
               Row 9-10: knit around

Continue in pattern established in rows 8 - 10 or
knit in stockinette stitch until length from cast on measures 3.5inches.

Start decreases:  *Knit 7, K2tog   (repeat around)
Knit 1 round
*Knit 6, K2tog (repeat around)
Knit 1 round
*Knit 5, K2tog (repeat around)Knit 1 round
*Knit 4, K2tog (repeat around)Knit 1 round
*Knit 3, K2tog (repeat around)Knit 1 round
*Knit 2, K2tog (repeat around)Knit 1 round
*Knit 1, K2tog (repeat around)Knit 1 round
*K2tog (repeat around)
Knit 3 together x 3times onto the same needle.
Knit an icord until it measures 1 inch.  Thread yarn through and weave in all ends.  Knot the top and block lightly.  Wrap and give as a gift or pop it on the closest newborn head.

As I said - it is not a new idea - just a few different things that I do.  I will Rav link it when I work out how.  If you knit it please let me know.

8 comments:

  1. That's such a lovely story, and I am so glad the beanie has carried on the good work. I have a knitted dress that has been doing the rounds of family and friends for about 40 years. It's vacant at the moment but I have my eye on a friend's toddler!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beatiful story. Thanks for sharing...hope it keeps little heads warm for a lot longer yet.

    PS I wish I could read that knitting pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a brilliant story. It certainly is well travelled. I'm sure the beanie will be just as adventurous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful that a piece of handwork has been loved and worn by so many. Here is to many more years of wear in its new form!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love this story. Every handknitter would love for their items to be appreciated this much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm all teary :}. That's just beautiful and I'm sure Taphophile will be delighted to see how it's journey has morphed and continued through many babies, too. Thanks for keeping the Umbilical Beanie Matinee going - it's an afternoon delight, isn't it? : D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh you are the best, so amazing!! I just did a post on how you fixed Berri - there is no stopping you. Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, what a gorgeous story! I just love that it has been revived to live yet another life!

    ReplyDelete