Sunday, January 16, 2011

Little O'l Me! What can I do to help?

I thought that I would put a list together of ways that you might be able to help.

Some are like me, at home looking after the little people in there lives.  I for one have only seen my husband for a total of 4 hours since Monday night - to say he is tired is an understatement.  And, unfortunalty - there is no end in sight - long hours will continue for the next few months. But I am greatful that we have each other (even if not face to face) and that we are all safe and dry.

As our community clean up I would also like to take a moment to think of others.  There are families in Emerald and Rockhampton who are only getting back to their homes now after 2 weeks - imagine (oh I dont think that I can)

Also for our neighbours down south.  We got news last night that Tim's parents had knee deep water through the farm house.  There are also many areas that are being hit with the floods for the second time in months - some of which have only just moved back home after repairs.  How heart breaking

---------------

Back on track, that list of ways that you can help.

Quilts for Queensland : Retromummy and her team of sewers are making quilt blocks.  12.5 inches.  You dont have to have any quilting knowledge - just be able to sew two pieces of fabric together.
Hope Softies : Steph is collecting little handmade dolls and toys (softies) for the almost 1000 children left withou a home to go to.  Lets show them that they are not forgotten.

Global Kids Oz -  Are collecting school and stationary supplies for schools.  96 schools have been affected by the floods and they are working at getting things together so the students can go back sooner rather than later.  The school term here in Queensland starts on Monday 24th so not long.  Why not pop an extra item or two onto your child's school shopping list and send it to
Global Kids Oz Headquarters
PO Box 1979
Cleveland QLD
4163
They are after anything from exercise books to textas, Let's make it happen.

C and K Kindergartens -  Many Kindergartens and Day Care centres are in the same situation.  They are asking for home corner, collage supplies and dress ups.  Please leave a message with your email and I can put you in contact with those in need.

Do you live close enough to drop off a batch of biscuits or a cake?  If so, check in at Digella she has spent the last week organising food drops around the flood affected areas.

Are you in Darwin.  They have a Shoe Box of Love Appeal on at the moment. (facebook link)

Volunteer, give a hug, make sure your friends are ok.  After the initial clean up dont forget these things either, it is going to be a long road to recovery and repair for many people. I have friends who personally will never look at the Brisbane River they way they used to :(
If there is something that I may have missed please let me know so I can add it.

I will leave you with a few pictures.
My husband recieved word the other day that a black hawk was required for a rescue - he asked what it was for (part of his job obviously) and was surprised to hear that it was for a cow on a roof - I guess it was a dry spot.  He was scared off by the noise before they could get to him.  What a story to tell his mates in the paddock (when they eventually find which one he belongs in.) News Link

 The last one is of a friend standing pointing at the water line on his residence.  It really hits home when you see someone you know in a photo of what has just happened.

Stay well, stay dry dear friends.

4 comments:

  1. What a great post Kylie! There's so many ways people can do their bit and feel like they are helping. Sorry to hear about Tims's parents place, hope they are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi gorgeous girl, love this story, just posted it too, thanks for the inspiration & alerting me to this crazy story. Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just so hard to imagine!! Poor Tim's parents!!! Daz is off to the Lockyer valley too with the Parks and Wildlife Fire & Rescue Units :(
    Lets have morning tea next week to debrief and try a cheer each other up. Keep safe :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there Kylie - tis hard flying solo. Looks like Tim and his colleagues are really keeping up people's spirits.

    ReplyDelete