Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Happy Birthday - to a knitting great

100 years ago a knitting marvel was born.

Knitting in the round and seamless garments were the brain child of Elizabeth Zimmermann. During a time when knitting was popular, she took it from knitting on two straight needles to flexible circular needles.

She was a knitting wizz and her mind never stopped.


I have tried a few of Elizabeth's patterns and I will go back and try them again.  You have to have your whits about you when you knit them as they are not written for a beginner and she assumes that you know what she is talking about and have an idea of pattern construction. I have found though that if you do as she says it will work out in the end (although her button placement instructions are usually left until it is too late and I have frogged and frogged again some patterns) 

She was famous for her saying of 'Knitting Without Tears' and Her motto:  "Knit on with confidence and hope, through all crises."

Happy Birthday Elizabeth and you are a knitting goddess.  May you live on in your knitting for another 100 years.

Elisabeth Zimmermann August 9th 1910 - November 30th 1999

2 comments:

  1. Nice post - I enjoy looking back at where different techniques came from, and the people behind them.
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great dedication to the great late 'Elizabeth'... You're right that woman is a geneous!!!

    I am ever inspired by her talent and am lucky enought to own both of her books..

    Hugs - Jodie :)

    ReplyDelete