The day of darkness! 

You will all know what is going on in this great southern land of our's. The worst fire disaster in history. Currently the death toll is horrifying and the homes lost are well into 700.
I have had to turn off the television. There are so many sad stories of loss and families seperated forever that I thought that I would put my enegies to something else. Last night while chatting to some online friends we thought about making things for those that have lost everything. I thought that since it is winter really only just around the corner that I could put my knitting skills to action and knit a few beanies etc.
Then this morning the wonderful Pip at Meet Me at Mikes sent out an email (via facebook)
She is going to be a drop off point for Handmade Help. And how can you crafty people help.
Mike's will act as a drop-off point for any handmade items you may want distributed to victims of the Victorian bushfires. This includes toys, clothing, quilts and baby items. They will look after them and they will be past onto The Foundation for Rural and Regional Renewal and Red Cross
Donations can be sent to 63 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy, Victoria. Telephone 94163713 (to be sure we are open at the time you will be dropping off!) Or feel free to mail us something marked Handmade Help on the envelope and we'll pass it on.
Thankyou so much Pip for starting this. I am going to chat to my little local knitting group and see if they would like to make something as well. Everyone can help. I will also sew up a few winter pj bottoms etc - they will be needed in the next few months. (Note - Pip is constantly updating her blog with other requests - so make sure you go and check it out)
And to think that Nth Queensland resembles a river! Sad really isn't it - Wish we could bottle some up and send it down.

Photos from Red Cross and newman
I saw your post on EB as well and think this is a great idea. I have spent all morning planning and have a shopping list ready for some bits and pieces so I can make a few things for this as well.
ReplyDeleteLike you, I will talk to my knitting group as well. I have spare wool which will be good for beanines and bootees for little ones.
It is a great cause and I am quite excited to be able to do something with my time to help.
Thanks for helping to get this out there as an idea :)
I too have had to turn off the T.V just to stop feeling down in the dumps for a couple of days... Great idea to make a batch of beanie's up Kylie!!! Victoria can be one cold place once Autumn sets in.... I'm knitting/croqueting up a heap of squares to contribute to a lady on Raverly so they can be made into a blanket. Every little bit helps I guess..
ReplyDeleteTake CAre
Jodie :)