
Chocolate Cake and a PIGGY!
Well it was Emma's birthday (my friend from Darwin who followed us here - or did I follow her???)
And since both of our Tim's are away I thought that I would invite her over for dinner!

Emma is a confessed lover of CHOCOLATE CAKE and PIGS. So my gift to her was just that.
I was a little worried though and very red after the experience of making the cake. As I descided to try a new recipe. Yes that is beetroot in the picture and YES it was in the cake!
Ok Edited to add the recipe:
BEETROOT CARROT CAKE ICING
4 eggs 125g cream cheese
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil 30g chocolate
2 cups castor sugar 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
2 1/2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup cocoa
2 tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons bicarb
1 x 825g tin of beetroot - drained and blended
I was a little worried though and very red after the experience of making the cake. As I descided to try a new recipe. Yes that is beetroot in the picture and YES it was in the cake!
Ok Edited to add the recipe:
BEETROOT CARROT CAKE ICING
4 eggs 125g cream cheese
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil 30g chocolate
2 cups castor sugar 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
2 1/2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup cocoa
2 tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons bicarb
1 x 825g tin of beetroot - drained and blended
METHOD
Beat eggs in large bowl. Gradually blend in oil. Mix in sugar and vanilla.
Sift flour, cocoa, salt and soda together and fold this into the egg mixture with the beetroot.
Pour mixture into two greased cake tins. Bake in a moderate oven for 1 hour or until cakes are cooked.
Cool for 15 minutes and then remove from tins.
ICING
Beat cream cheese until creamy. Add melted chocolate and fold in icing sugar.
MY NOTES
I used my sponge tins for the cake. When cooled I placed strawberry jam and cream in the middle and the icing on top. Next time I will SIFT the icing sugar - but I was running out of time and needed to get Amelia through the bath.
I hope that you enjoy this. And come back to let me know what you think of it.
Beat eggs in large bowl. Gradually blend in oil. Mix in sugar and vanilla.
Sift flour, cocoa, salt and soda together and fold this into the egg mixture with the beetroot.
Pour mixture into two greased cake tins. Bake in a moderate oven for 1 hour or until cakes are cooked.
Cool for 15 minutes and then remove from tins.
ICING
Beat cream cheese until creamy. Add melted chocolate and fold in icing sugar.
MY NOTES
I used my sponge tins for the cake. When cooled I placed strawberry jam and cream in the middle and the icing on top. Next time I will SIFT the icing sugar - but I was running out of time and needed to get Amelia through the bath.
I hope that you enjoy this. And come back to let me know what you think of it.
I'm still not sure about the whole beetroot thing but it certainly looks yummy. I love the pig too, very cute. I hope Emma liked them both.
ReplyDeleteWow, beetroot cake 8)
ReplyDeleteCan we have the recipe??
beetroot cake sounds very interesting...did it taste as good as what it looks because it looks very yummy :-)
ReplyDeleteLisa
hey random bloger (L)
ReplyDeleteThat recipe looks interesting. How did the cake turn out? I think the little pig is adorable too!
ReplyDeleteyummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! looks good!
ReplyDeleteCorrie:)
hmm..not too sure I'll be trying the beetroot cake. lol I LOVE your piggy..he's adorable.
ReplyDeleteIt looks like a nice cake and an even nicer pig! I once came across a recipie for beetrrot cake with peanut butter frosting, but I was too scared to try it.
ReplyDeleteCool!! I must try this!! :)
ReplyDelete