Saturday, September 6, 2014

A Cat in a Hat

During National Literacy and Numeracy Week the school held a Book Character Parade.

Being a book lover and having missed the last few Book Weeks, I wasn't disappointed when Baden asked me to make him his costume.

He narrowed it down to six (yes, six) different characters and then chose


THE CAT IN THE HAT

I could have easily have purchased a $20 costume in a bag made in a factory somewhere in China.  But that would have been the easy option.  Instead I made him a hat and tie and then he asked for a onesie with a zip, white chest and paws. How could this mother say no!
 


We finished off the costume with some face makeup and with a wave of his tail he was off.


“Look at me!
Look at me!
Look at me NOW!
It is fun to have fun
But you have to know how.”

Dr. Seuss : The CAT in the HAT 


Pattern Details:
Hat and Paws : My own.  Measured his head and winged it.  The brim is a circle in a cirle and stitched on. The stripes are 3 inches wide and made for a very tall hat.
Onesie:  Kwik Sew 2704. Pattern A, minus the feet and with the sleeves and legs turned and elastic added.
Materials : Rathdowne Fabrics 

1 comment:

  1. This is such a fabulous costume Kylie, I love it. And good on you for making with love rather than a quick and easy cheap option.

    ReplyDelete