It has been a long time since I have had a vegetable garden. Some times we know that we are only going to be in a location for 12 months and honestly, it is just too much hard work.
I started a herb garden as soon as we got here. Since then, and seeing the success that I have had with that, I have been harping at my husband to build me some planter boxes.
With a little harping and a slight nudge (They have been upgrading some of the homes around here and with that have been pulling down old fencing, I used my initiative and went and asked what they were going to be doing with the old wood and was told it was heading to the dump and if I wanted it that it was mine)
I am now known in this parts (well by my husband and anyone that asks) as the 'Good Idea's Fairy'
I now have three vegetable patches down the back fence. I bought mostly seedlings (I have waited all year to start growing, I didn't want to have to wait to see the little green shoots pop out of the dirt) I also purchased a tomato and capsicum that were a little bigger.
I also have some seeds planted as well.
The kids helped me to plant a few seeds into peat pots and we have been watching them grow on the window sill. It won't be long before we are able to plant them out in the garden as well.
And we are all enjoying eating the strawberries that border the herb spiral.
This is what the yard looked like when we moved in. Already it has changed alot and I am hoping that soon we will have vegetables to feed and supplement our meals.







I'm feeling a bit jealous of your vegie patches ... and your yard! Kellie xx
ReplyDeleteThose strawberries look too good to be true. I bet they taste so much better than the shop ones too. Great idea to re-use the wood. Looking forward to seeing your garden over the summer.
ReplyDeleteYum! those strawberries look amazing! Vegie gardens are just the best, aren't they?
ReplyDeleteLooks great. Kids will love it too.
ReplyDelete