Monday, March 23, 2009

Back to Basics Challenge - Week One


Well after the start to the year that I have had I am ever so pleased to say that I have started to do a few things around MY house. The garden was VERY neglected over the past 3 or so months and I am surprised at just how well it has stood up to the heat and lack of water that it has received. But, It is full steam ahead at the moment. Tim is away for the week and when he gets back we will re fertilize and mulch the garden in preparation for the winter vegetables. I want to have alot in there and be eating alot of our own vegetables over winter as this will possibly be our last winter harvest for a few years with the next posting most possibly having us head NORTH!

As I mentioned a few weeks back - I am going to join in with Belinda's Challenge of Getting Back to Basics. So here is my very first post and update for myself of the garden really. If you would like to join in the fun and to see more of Belinda's posts go here! (She also has the participants down the side of her blog)

IN THE GARDEN

Sowing Seeds
Broccoli
Cauliflower

Leeks
Lettuce
Shallots

Harvest
-
Not much, but happy all the same
10 cherry tomatoes

1 Mini Watermelon - not as sweet as I was hoping - probably has alot to do with the lack of water that it receive
d whilst we were away.

Maintenance
Watering of garden beds and herb garden
Cutting back and dealing with cabbage moth on the Mint

Dealing with plague of MICE

Observing
Pumpkin vine - looking very much like a butternut - lets hope that it is a nice one as it has
grown from the compost heap

Tomatoes -are having another flowering season after the recent hot weather.


PLANNING/ WORKING FOR THE FUTURE
Reviewing budget and seeing where else I can save a $

Purchased $20 voucher from Woolworths at the end of the grocery order. As we are moving at the end of the year and alot of the stuff we can not take with us (ie: fridge and freezer will have to be eaten down and fully restocked at the other end) I thought that by purchasing a voucher with the grocery order would help at the other end.

Tim is collecting resources and supplies to build us a camper trailer.


BUILDING COMMUNITY
Attended family day for defense families.
Attended our church's new playgroup - hopefully there will be more children next week. Will
look at attending every second week.


LEARN A NEW SKILL
How to be brave in front of Amelia and Baden in the dealing with mice - these creatures are not my furry friends!

MY EFFORTS TO BE FUGAL
Made name tags out of a plastic milk container.
Made a batch of Citrus Vinegar Cleaner. Recipe from here. Lets hope that it was worth the wait.

6 comments:

  1. The $20 voucher at the end of each grocery trip sounds like a great idea. :)

    That is awesome luck to be growing a pumpkin by accident. I bet it'll make nice pumpkin scones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Aboard,

    I love your planning for the move. What you are doing makes so much sense to cushion the expenses when it will count.

    Kind Regards
    Belinda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that's gonna be one big move (glad it's you!!! LOL) Good idea to be buying vouchers now.

    I did have a little giggle about you acting brave in front of the kids with the mouse! I had a similar drama last week - except it was a snake, eeek :o
    Lucky for glass windows and solid doors betwen me & it eh???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is one huge list. I don't envy you having to move (again!)....hope it will all go smoothly for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kylie, in one way I am sorry you are moving because at the moment I live two hours from you, but still there is the winter to read all about your location.

    Car, I am sorry about the snake.

    I had ordered a voucher through Chrisco, but the order was taken wrong and I have to try again sometime. They have food vouchers this year at Safeway/Woolworths I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for visiting my blog. I shop at Tumbarumba. The road to Albury is a challenging drive, I go sometimes though, on the way back from Wangaratta, or for dancing.

    ReplyDelete